Our body is home to trillions of cells, vital organs, networks of arteries and veins, and structures to support its myriad functions. Just as we have all of these essential components within us, the body also houses several disease-causing organisms and toxins. While the body has its own way of fighting back these disease-causing organisms and keeping them in check, the toxins that we are exposed to on a daily basis need something extra to combat their deleterious effects on our health. A detoxification program is important to prevent toxin overdose and to fight it off when it occurs.
If you think you are ready for a healthier, less toxic, and more positive version of yourself, make an appointment with us today and experience the best of life that our detoxification plans can offer.
What Are Toxins, and How Are They Formed?
A small amount of toxins is usually always present in the body as a result of various metabolic processes that are constantly going on in every body cell. The toxins are typically eliminated from the body naturally through urine and sweat. Owing to several environmental and lifestyle factors, however, the level of toxins in our body is steadily increasing, often to the point where natural elimination is not possible.
The process of breakdown or modification of toxins occurs in the liver. When the level of toxins rises above what the liver is capable of handling, it processes what it can, and stores the rest for later. This is when the toxin levels in the body rise. This can also occur in cases where the liver is already compromised in its functioning, as noticed in patients with liver problems.
Toxins may increase as a result of addiction, stress and anxiety, regular exposure to toxins in the environment, fatigue, and fatty liver. Being on a weight-loss program can also cause elevated toxin levels in the body since toxins are rapidly released, as fat in the body is lost. Regardless of the reason of toxin build-up, the body regularly needs detoxification to maintain optimal health status.
Dr. Adonis strongly believes that detoxification will improve your health status, thus allowing you to live your life to the fullest.
How Does Detoxification Help?
The good news about fighting increased toxicity in the body is that the body can manage it without any drugs and medication. A boost in the form of supplemented vitamins and minerals can go a long way in restoring balance in the body. There is no need to run a course of antibiotics or seek conventional medicine to help detoxify the body.
Dr. A has, in his years of practice of functional medicine, developed a comprehensive plan to combat toxicity in the body. He has managed to turn around several cases that have manifested toxicity in various ways. According to Dr. A, there are several contributors to the loss of homeostatic balance in the body. Apart from widely acknowledged environmental contributors, excess enzymes, hormones, and inflammatory molecules can also contribute to toxicity. The process of detoxification works in three stages:
- Conversion of toxins from lipid-soluble to water-soluble compounds
- Further increase in their solubility and retardation of their ability to react in the body
- Elimination of water-soluble toxins from the cells
These three stages help eliminate both xenobiotics, or foreign chemicals in the body, as well as endobiotics or endogenously produced chemicals. Although the terms and processes may seem rather complex, Dr. A has perfected simplification of the process of detoxification.
Detoxification cannot be achieved through any one technique, whether it is diet regulation or fasting alone. Instead, it requires a combination of various consistent practices to help eliminate toxins and restore and sustain the balance in the body. Here are some techniques Dr. A employs:
- Intravenous vitamin and mineral therapy to replenish their levels and improve the body’s ability to flush out toxins. Vitamins are beneficial in slowing down the metabolism of toxins. Minerals like iron, calcium, magnesium, and selenium can help facilitate the breakdown of toxins into water-soluble compounds faster. Other supplements can contribute in numerous ways, ranging from neutralizing toxins to alleviating stress on the liver.
- Chelating agents, like EDTA and DMPS that can be used orally or intravenously, to more actively remove the toxins from the body. These are usually done in combination with intravenous therapy since chelation can also deplete the body of healthy nutrients.
- A combination of techniques including cleansing, keeping the body active, living and eating right, and developing a positive attitude.
Tips to Aid Detoxification
- Revisit your habits – moderate your alcohol consumption and avoid smoking. Alcohol creates a great strain on the liver and smoking loads the lungs and the body with carcinogenic toxins. Staying away from these will help keep the body get cleaner and ensure the organs function well.
- Get enough sleep – although sleep seems like a sedentary process, the body is, in fact, working at this time to recharge and eliminate toxins from the body. Ensure you get enough sleep and follow a definite sleep schedule.
- Hydrate – the benefits of hydration can never be stated enough. Among its many benefits are transporting waste and broken-down metabolic products and eliminating them through our breath, sweat, or urine. A minimum of 2 liters of water every day is imperative for optimal health.
- Eat healthy – incorporate more fresh and natural foods in your diet. Junk foods and processed foods are laden with excess sugar and salt, which act as added stressors to the body. Eating fresh, healthy foods not only reduces toxin levels but also equips the body to fight toxicity better.
- Prebiotics and antioxidants – these are substances that boost the vitality of the body. They enhance the body’s ability to fight toxins naturally by fighting inflammation and harmful microbes in the digestive system.
- Modify your homes – clean out your house thoroughly, ensuring it is free from toxins. Opt for natural cleaning agents that do not contain toxins. Ensure your make-up and cosmetics are as natural as possible to minimize exposure to chemicals. Use a water filter in your home to ensure that toxins are filtered out before you drink water.
- Sauna – a sauna has been found to be a wonderful way for toxins present in the fatty tissues to be released and eliminated from the body through sweat. Using an infrared sauna can prove to be a much more comfortable experience since it enables the build-up of sweat at much lower temperatures. An infrared sauna on a weekly basis can show remarkable results over time.